In Apr 2017, Social Beat in partnership with Facebook India conducted the second edition of the Digital Marketing Masterclass. With a packed audience of 50, we had an insightful session on how to approach digital marketing to build a brand and to acquire quality sales or leads.
The top three expectations, shared by the audience, that was elaborated during the session were:
- Reducing Cost Per Acquisition
- Scaling Up Leads/Orders
- Effective Measurement of results
So, if you are facing similar challenges, then read on!
Mobile First Marketing
From Facebook’s own research, users on average spent 3 hours on mobile per day that signifies that your consumer is on mobile for 3 hours and you have the opportunity of 3 hours to be in front of your consumer!
One thing we all need to understand is that Facebook is a discovering platform. Your brand personality has to stand out in the consumer’s mind and there need to be multiple touch points and impressions to make the connect. The Reach & Frequency category of campaigns can be useful in achieving this goal. Moreover, Facebook users are active throughout the day, unlike most other mediums (TV, print or radio) and in fact, 35%+ of Facebook Users are active at any given time.
Did you know that on average in a single day people check their Facebook feed 14 times? As many as 62% of the audience check their phones over 30 times a day. That means you are getting 14 times the opportunity to sell your product via Facebook. With over 184 million Facebook users in India, it gives brands a tremendous opportunity. Moreover, as per the report from NCCSAB, 210 million is the consuming population in India out of which, 142 million can be reached through Facebook.
Key aspects for a marketer to keep in mind when leveraging mobile
- In a Facebook study, ~76% of video ads required sound to be understood, but most users watch them without any sound. So, it’s critical to understand these consumer insights when making videos and other creative content. E.g. Hotels.com Video which has received 2.3 million views on FB and cleverly used the video captions.
- Since the speed of content consumption is faster on mobile, it’s important to have the brand and copy/captions to convey the message within the first few seconds.
Should we target to Tier 2 and Tier 3 cities in India?
As per the statistics, 33% of the users are from metros. So 67% of the Facebook universe belongs to the population from Tier 2 and Tier 3 cities – which is contrary to popular perception. This is also going to give rise to content creation and consumption in regional languages.
Understanding Marketing on Instagram
Facebook is the platform to keep in touch with family and friends whereas Instagram is the platform where people look for inspiration, photos and brands to follow.
Top Interests on Instagram are:
Moreover, the Instagram user is a more evolved and engaged user with a premium lifestyle. For example, while only 5% of the population in India has mobile postpaid connections, 25% of Instagram users have postpaid connections – highlighting that a luxury or premium brand cannot be ignoring a platform like Instagram.
The art of Audience Targeting
Facebook is 85% accurate and when further information like age and gender is included, the accuracy rate goes up to 90%.
The top reasons why Facebook is more effective is
- Availability (with users active 14 times a day)
- Flexibility (of audience and targeting)
- Efficiency: Minimal Waste
- 100% Declared Audience Attributes (Not Inferred)
Types of Audience Targeting on Facebook
• Core Audience Targeting:
This feature allows us to reach a precise audience based on four main targeting types:
- Interests and
For example: When targeting NRIs to sell your property – The audience which is core to Facebook is provided with age and gender information. Behaviour targeting will help us target people living in a joint family, who are frequent travellers internationally and nationally, who have travel apps and are newly married.
- Custom audience: These set of the audience is created by uploading your customer database of:
- – email addresses
- – phone numbers
- – website audience using Facebook Pixel
- – facebook user IDs
- – app user IDs and Facebook will match this data to as many user profiles as possible.
The custom audience is an excellent way to make use of CRM data. The CRM tool can also help in lead nurturing, which is critical to improving the final conversion of leads to home buyers. Research by Social Beat shows that there is a 60% better chance of converting if called within 2 hours.
Another medium we can customise our audience is with the use of Facebook Pixel, which creates a list of users who came to your website, converted into the site, visiting more than a certain number of times in the last 30 days etc.
The custom audience also helps in improving the quality of the leads. Users frequently visiting your website are more like to become home buyers and can be given more focus.
Lookalike audiences are a way to reach new people who are likely to be interested in your business because…
- – Their profiles are similar to custom audiences you have uploaded
- – phone numbers
- – Their interests and demographics are similar to users who have visited your website
- – They’re similar to users who have hit one of your conversion pixels
You’re telling Facebook that you want an audience created of people who are most like your email list, website visitors, people who have hit one of your conversion pixels, etc. Facebook will create an audience based off data points on a Facebook profile that would denote similarity.
You can also create an International Lookalike audience – because people are same everywhere! Eg: People have visited your luxury product landing page. You can create a lookalike of similar users internationally!
Coming to brand!
Facebook Brand awareness tracks people who look for sponsored content. If you plan to go ahead with lead ads in the first go, it will go to the people who have filled the leads in the past. You are missing out on the potential to reach a newer audience.
How does Brand awareness work?
- Step 1: As a person, when I see your sponsored content on my feed, I will read. Once I find it interesting, I will go to your website to check your offerings, credibility, and products, etc.
- Step 2: Next time, when your sponsored content again appears on my feed, I will go through your ad again.
- Step 3: Multiple visibility of your content and ads, will make me curious and viola I fill your ad and I am one of your leads!
Point to note: Investing in your brand awareness is similar to running ads on radio and television. You need to frequently appear on the wall of the people!
For Brand awareness videos, relevant content and E-books along with the below ideas can be tried
- Amplifying content and infographics (Facebook Canvas can be an interesting medium to do this)
- Carousel ads to showcase different attributes of the brand
- Amplifying with videos, 360-degree virtual tour
- Engagement Campaigns to get shareability
- Need for content experiment: Run regional ads in local languages
- More formats: Video for leads ads carousel
Sequencing of ads is also possible by using custom audiences after using Reach & Frequency ads and we have seen some tremendous results come through this.
There are numerous case studies that one can find on the Facebook Business Success page but we discussed a few in detail and you can read them up via the below links:
Tracking Return on Investment & Scaling up Leads/Sales
We have a more detailed blog on tracking ROI from digital marketing, which you may find useful.
Questions asked during the Masterclass
In spite of getting so many leads, why leads are failing to convert into a sale?
There are some common mistakes marketers make, which should be avoided in order to improve conversions:
- Following up with your lead within 6 hours and not after 1 week of the lead being generated
- Not disclosing the lead source to the sales person – leading to lack of clarity during conversation
- Being able to attribute all digital leads by using cloud telephony – to understand the true impact of digital marketing
How can you improve the quality of leads via the Lead Gen Ads?
- Add Customizable questions – which products/services are you interested in, ask a good time to call etc. This is because it is important to build a faithful relationship first then making a sale. Remember that buying a home is usually a very involved decision
- Use Context card – tells users why they are filling the form
What are the elements critical in a lead generation focussed Ad Creative?
Its important to the have the below elements & approach to getting the best quality leads and conversion:
- Visuals & Videos can be experimented with – For example if you are a real estate company, the exterior, interior, walkthrough video, video selling the project etc. Sometimes even generic images with family and kids can also work for specific projects.
- Transparency is key – Location in the city, Price, Type of Property (Apartment, Villa, Plot etc), Expected Handover Date are some key details that can be included in the ad
- Have the right Call to Action (Learn More or Contact Us or View More) and sometimes combining it with offers
We have tried regional content but it hasnt worked?
- In our experience regional content and communication works if the entire experience is in that language, which means that the landing page, the customer care, email communication etc is also in the same regional language. WE need to provide a seamless experience for it to work – it can be messaging in hindi but then we take them to a landing page which is in English.
- The other aspect is that, maybe the audience that interacts with regional content is different – maybe they would prefer talking to someone rather than give the enquiry online – so as a brand we need to make this easier and give multiple options to consumers.